The original Saint-Pierre Cathedral had been burned to the ground during the 1902 fire. It was rebuilt between 1905 and 1907 and is located on the same land as Saint-Pierre's original church from 1690.
Saint-Pierre's Cathedral was built in the style of Basque churches with the featured upper galleries with stain glass windows close to 100 years old; with the exception of those located in the transept. These windows were a gift from General Charles de Gaulle and unveiled during his visit in 1967.
The steeple was rebuilt in 1975 with sandstone from Alsace, France and rhyolite from Saint-Pierre.