In the aftermath of the city's Great Fire of 1846, Rennie's Mill Road was developed as a residential area where the prosperous residents sought tranquil and safe accommodations away from the crowded downtown core. It contains a remarkably harmonious and homogeneous grouping of large, wooden homes that are closely associated with individuals prominent in the political, financial and social life of Newfoundland, among them four prime ministers of the colony.
Built in the latter part of the 19th century, a substantial number of these houses were designed in the Second Empire style, which, with its steep mansard roofs, is one of the most characteristic residential forms in St. John's. Another popular style represented is the Queen Anne Revival, which is similar in scale but more varied in form. This district is a rare intact 19th century example of the planning phenomenon: the residential suburb.
Rennie’s Mill Road Historic District National Historic Site of Canada is an upper middle-class residential suburb located just beyond the centre of St. John’s, Newfoundland. The designation refers to the area defined by Rennie’s Mill Road from Military Road running north one block to its termination at Circular and includes all the properties on the road (buildings on the west side numbers 21 to 79 and on the east side numbers 12 to 54 and the open spaces around them), extending to their rear property lines.
Time Period Represented: 1846-1905
Visitor Fees (if any): none
Seasons Open: year-round
Accessibility Notes: public walk on sidewalks
pets permitted on public areas