The Old Witless Bay Cemetery is the burial ground for many of the founding families of the community. Gravestones date to the mid-1800s, but nondescript stone markers date it to as early as the late 18th century when permanent settlement began in the area. Many of the Irish names on these headstones are still commonly heard in Witless Bay today. The prominent Celtic Cross was erected in 1880 by local priest, Rev. M.P. O'Driscoll in memory of several family members. The graveyard was designated a Municipal Heritage Site in 2006. For more information check out http://www.heritagefoundation.ca/property-search/property-details.aspx?id=2529
Hours Open: All hours
Seasons Open: Year-round
Time Period Represented: Late 18th century to 19th century
Visitor Fees: Free
Heading south on Route 10 (Southern Shore Highway), turn left on Harbour Road. Turn left to the fishplant. Take short lane east to the graveyard.
Pet-friendly but please be respectful of grave sites.