Historic Ferryland community Museum is located in the old Courthouse. The building was constructed in 1916 and served the area as the Bank of Montreal from 1916 to 1919. It was converted to the Courthouse and Newfoundland Constabulary residence in 1919, and served in this capacity until 1949 when Newfoundland joined Canada and the building was closed. It then became a Dr.'s residence and clinic until the late 1960's. In 1973, the Government of Newfoundland conveyed the building to the Ferryland Historical Society to be used as a community Museum. It opened in 1974, making it the oldest operating tourist attraction on the Irish Loop. The building houses the original jail cell, re-created courtroom, period kitchen and bedroom, a fisherman’s room, as well as a variety of exhibits depicting community life.
Time Period Represented: 1916 - present
Visitor Fees (if any): $2.00
Seasons Open: Mid - June - Labour Day Mon - Sat 10am - 4 pm Sunday 1pm - 4 pm