The earliest records of the building indicate that it was probably constructed in 1902. The first owners and occupants were Wood’s West End Candy Store and Dining Rooms.
From 1928 to 1966, Rex Sterling, father of Geoff Sterling, operated the Sterling Restaurant and Tavern. On the ground floor there was a candy shop, bake shop, and soda fountain. Upstairs, the elegant Edwardian dining room featured white linen tablecloths, stiffly starched maids, and lace-curtained windows.
From the late 1960's to 1999 the building was home to a number of retail operations including:
- Cousins Dry Cleaning 1968 - 1975
- Sports Unlimited 1978 - 1980
- Cameo Studios 1982 - 1983
- One, Two, Three Dollar Store 1988 - 1996
- Ten Thousand Villages and Refuge Immigrant Advisory Council 1999
The building is presently owned by the Gentera Company. In 2002 the City of St. John’s agreed to move its Economic Development, Tourism and Culture Department into the building and save it from demolition. The Department moved into the building on May 6, 2004.
Time Period Represented: 1902
Visitor Fees (if any): None
Seasons Open: Year-round
Accessibility Notes: Wheelchair accessible